Friday, February 7, 2014

A new and nifty item for the cache (h/t to Brigid)

I was perusing the blogs late last week, when I came across this entry at Brigid's blog at Home on the Range about an interesting new glow light panel and other items from 4EverLight, the UV-Paqlite.

The light comes in various sizes and consists of strontium aluminate crystals in a flexible flat pouch, with a handy hanger loop to put about anywhere.  Just a few minutes of exposure to ambient indoor light is enough to have it give off a dim glow and exposing it to outdoor sunlight or a high-powered lamp will give enough to provide sufficient illumination to help you navigate around a dark room.

After reading Brigid's review and observations of the UVMatlite, I decided to check it out for myself.  I ordered the Trial Pack which consists of the medium size Paqlite, a UV-Glostick, and a gear finder/keychain made of the crystals embedded in a small epoxy block.  When I went to the mailbox and found it there, I was surprised at the fact that even though it was a very cloudy day and rainy, there must have been enough light to charge it enough to give it a weak glow which was evident when I brought it back to the apartment.

So once I removed them from the outer shipping pouch (clever idea to send them that way, pretty effective demonstration IMO), I let them sit on the dining room table under the light for about 10 minutes then I turned the light off.  The glow was not quite a powerful as what the Matlite gives off, but for something flexible and easy to carry, it would be pretty effective.





I then decided to illuminate the panel using the SureFire 6P light mounted on my AR to see how intense the glow gets.  After just a minute or so of exposure, the panel was glowing a very bright vivid green about the same intensity as a small 1-2 watt night light.

Overall I think it was the best $20 I ever spent on an item to use in both everyday and in a SHTF scenario.

Thanks again to Brigid for her info.  Definitely check out her blog listed on the right side of the page for her thoughtful and interesting commentary (and awesome-looking recipes!). 

Have a great weekend, and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment